Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Old School Anime


I seriously grew up having this fixation on animations. I love to watch cartoons when I was little and that is one of the reasons why my Dad scolded me from time to time back then. My eyes were glued on the television. I was around 6 years old when I watched my first anime.
We don't have cable connection in 1995 so we only have the basic channels including RPN which was pretty blurry then on our receiver. It was on channel 9. 


Dragon Ball: My first anime

Dragon Ball was the first anime I watched. We have limited time viewing back then so it took a while after I had a second watch for another anime. Next thing I remember was in 1st grade when my likeness for anime actually went on the next level. This time, I had the balls to sneakingly turn on the TV just to watch Yuyu Hakusho. It was on IBC channel that time. 



Yuyu Hakusho commonly known as "Ghost Fighter" in the Philippines
It was around 1998 when anime was a hit on prime time. After the "Marimar"-Latin craze, japanese animes started to sprout from the two big broadcasting network in the country. There was even a time that animes were the shows you watched on weeknights. I used to remember that GMA was getting high ratings because of this. 

There was even a time that the line up every night was this. Anime Authority, that's what it was called. During the afternoons, before the Taiwanese sensation/korean drama hit the country in 2001, kids would watch Detective Conan, Magi Knight Rayearth, Flint the time detective, Gundam, etc.

                                                                                 
GMA's week night's line up






Monday  Tuesday Wednesday Thursday  Friday
6:30-7:00 Hell Teacher Nube Ranma 1/2 Master of Mosquiton Monster Rancher Vision of Escaflowne
7:00-7:30 Dragon Ball Z Lupin III Dragon Ball Z Lupin III Dragon Ball Z
7:30-8:00 Pokemon
8:00-8:30 Voltes V
Fushigi Yuugi

While GMA has those hardcore animes, ABS CBN had those heartmelting animes like Cedie, Remy, Princess Sara, Ann of Green Gables, Heidi, Secret Garden and the Sound of Music. 

The animes back then were pretty cool. They may have crappy art if you would compare it to the current generation of anime series but their plot were just so unique and new at that time. There were hardly animes which has the same plot and theme.

List of Anime which swept my feet away in no particular order:



  1. Dragon Ball Series
  2. Yuyu Hakusho (Ghost Fighter)
  3. Flame of Recca
  4. Voltes V
  5. Daimos
  6. Hell Teacher Nube
  7. Ranma 1/2
  8. Magic Knight Rayearth
  9. Master of Mosquiton
  10. Monster Rancher
  11. Trigun
  12. Vision of Escaflowne
  13. Lupin III
  14. Fushigi Yuugi
  15. Sorcerer Hunters (Bakuretsu Hunter)
  16. Samurai X 
  17. Cardcaptor Sakura  
  18. Bubble Gum Crisis
  19. Mojako
  20. Detective Conan
  21. Cyborg Kuro Chan
  22. Crayon Shin Shan
  23. Digimon
  24. Pokemon
  25. Catseye
There were other animes which were famous then but I didnt get to watch since it's on AXN:


  1. Cooking master boy
  2. Sakura Wars
  3. Vandread
  4. Your Under Arrest
  5. Ah! My Goddess
  6. Gate Keepers
  7. Power Stone
  8. Ayashi no Ceres
  9. Galaxy Angel
  10. Slam Dunk


Hell Teacher Nube
Bakuretsu Hunters ( Sorcerer's Hunter)


Daimos
Mobile Gundam Seed
Monster Rancher
Monster of Mosquiton
Catseye


Vision of Escaflowne


Bubblegum Crisis 2040


Did you know that Bubblegum Crisis and Fushigi Yuugi were considered to be hentai before?Funny how anime evolve through time as well. Anime which were rated ecchi and hentai before is not close as the ecchi and hentai animes now. ^^

How about you? which anime did you grow up with? :)
This entry was posted in

0 comments:

Post a Comment