Sunday, September 27, 2015

DIY Indochina Backpacking


It was my first cross country backpacking and I was pretty excited about it. Not only that I would be far away from home for a long time but also traveling alone adds up to the thrill. One of the low cost air carrier of the country had a promo, I took advantage of it. I have booked 8 months ahead of my scheduled trip and since then, started researching. I checked some itineraries of other travel blogs but then again it is totally different once you are in the place. It was eight days of fun and adventure and being away from home.

I booked a flight from Metro Manila bound to Ho Chi Minh and a return flight from Bangkok back to the Philippines. The good thing about booking ahead is that the fare is dirty cheap and all you need to think of for the remaining months would be your pocket money. Good news for my fellow Filipinos is that you don't need to worry of getting a visa for these countries since they are part of ASEAN.

On this blog, I will focus on the itinerary I made on the spot. I always like the element of surprise so when I left the country, I don't have a concrete plan. All i knew was, I would be in Vietnam for 2 days and bound for Cambodia and would stay there for another 3 days and remaining days would be in Bangkok. I have booked my accommodations for these said dates but I don't have anything in mind how to get to one place to the other.

Day 0, Saturday Night- Bound for Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I was already at the airport four hours before my flight. ETD was 22:50 for  Tan Son Nhat International Airport. NAIA Terminal 3 was not jam packed at that time which made my life not in a rush. ETA is 12:20 the following day, Sunday.

Ho Chi Minh City

Day 1, Sunday - Ho Chi Minh City, City Exploration
Due to slight delay of the flight, we arrived half past one in the morning at Tan Son Nhat International Airport. I really dont mind at all since my check in is at 12nn and I have all morning long o myself and no plan. Initial plan was to do a City Exploration which is enough to be completed for the whole day just as long as you have the energy. I stayed at the airport's lobby for 2 hours and was hoping to stay until dawn but I really got bored so I decided to go to my hostel just to leave my things and start my walk around the city. Unfortunately, the hostel was close or at least no available receptionist at around 4am so I chilled to the 24hr convenient store right next to eat.
I had my first ever Pho for breakfast with a new found friend and had coffee in Starbucks just to kill time right before I checked in.
At 10am, i was all pumped up for a long walk.

  • 23/9 Park - 
  • Ben Thanh Market
  • Reunification Palace
  • Saigon Notre-Dame Basilica

Day 2, Monday- Cu Chi, Nigh Photowalk
Cu Chi Tunnel is two hours from Saigon. You'll be passing by the country side and off to the north west part of Vietnam.
  • Cu Chi Tunnel 
  • Saigon City Hall

Day 3, Tuesday- Bound to Phnom Pehn in Cambodia,
City Exploration
My initial plan was from HCMC direct to Siem Riep, Cambodia. But since it is going to be an excruciating 12 hours bus ride, I changed routes and plan. Since I have a friend based in Phnom Penh, i decided to have an overnight stay in Phnom Pehn which is a 6 hours bus ride. 
  • Wat Phnom
  • Royal Palace
  • Independence Monument
  • Olympic Stadium
  • Sisowath Quay

Day 4, Wednesday- Bound to Siem Riep, City Exploration
Arrived at around 2pm in Siem Riep and was another 6 hours bus ride from Phnom Pehn. 
  • Old MArket
  • Wat Bo
  • Night Market
Enjoying Wat Bo
Day 5, Thursday- Angkor Temple Exploration
As wanting to see the sunrise, we were at Angkor Wat at 5:15. It is a 20 mins tuktuk ride from my hostel. 
  • Angkor Temples
  • Pub Street

Day 6, Friday- Bound to Bangkok
It was a 10 hours trip from Siem Riep to Bangkok. 
  • Siem Riep-Poipet-Aranyaprathet-Bangkok
An hour picking up passengers within the city, two hours from Siem Riep to Poipet and another two hours in the border. If you would be lucky and no queue then you may be finished in 30 minutes. When you cross border, you will find yourself in Aranyaprathet in Thailand. It was another 6 hours before I reached Bangkok.

Day 7, Saturday- Ayutthaya, City Exploration
Two hours ride from Bangkok and north bound is the old city of Ayutthaya. 
  • Temples in Ayutthaya
  • Khao San Road
  • Democracy Monument
One of the temples in Ayuttaha

Day 8, Sunday- Bound Home
My return flight is 12:20am of Monday but i need to check in early. Besides, I no longer have any further plans so after i check out at noon, I went to Platinum Mall to buy a few stuff and headed to
Suvarnabhumi Airport

Last Day- Home sweet home
Im back in Makati and arrived in the country around 6am. Flight got delayed for more than an hour. 

I'll have a more detailed blog for each places/countries I have been to. I will also include expenses and places to visit on the specific blogs. Feel free to drop some questions. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment